Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Goat Scrotum Porter:
Scandinavian-Maple-Martinique Version


The label for my freshly brewed Porter will read as follows:
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and owlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.


William Shakespeare (Macbeth Act 4 Scene 1)
This brew recipe is actually not all that far from the truth. The actual recipe is based on the Goat Scrotum Porter recipe found in the "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, 3rd edition". I changed it around abit. Mainly instead of adding brown sugar, and black strap molasses, I added in approximately the same quantities (I think) granulated maple sugar and "Sirop de Canne" from Martinique. The brew is currently conditioning with some honey, but having tasted it beforehand I would say that it will be very good once aged (maybe a couple of months). The juniper berries used in the boil really give it a tangy and different taste. I used White Lab's East Coast American Ale Yeast.